A new combined voice for primary health – the Federation of Primary Health – held its felt establishment board meeting this week under chair Dame Annette King.
In February the former health minister was named as the inaugural independent chair of a new federation of primary health care providers and professional organisations. This followed a summit attended by 70 primary health care leaders including members of current primary health umbrella groups the Primary Health Alliance, General Practice New Zealand, Health Care Aotearoa and the General Practice Leaders Forum as well as leaders from midwifery, allied health, nursing, medicine and NGOs.
The first formal meeting of the federation’s establishment board (see membership below) was held on April 10 to consider the board’s terms of reference, a proposed Federation constitution and support needed to establish the Federation.
King said the board was making “great progress” and hoped in due course to confirm a date for the start of the Federation and offer membership options.
“I am delighted to be working with such passionate and committed professionals from across the sector who are already demonstrating their desire for real change in support of better outcomes for our communities,” said King. She said their skill set and expertise would help establish an “inclusive” Federation that would serve as a platform for integrated primary health, with the people of New Zealand at the “heart of its objectives”.
The board’s terms of reference were to be published shortly and the board to formally meet again in early May.
In announcing the new Federation in February King said getting the primary health care sectors to collaborate was a “historic moment for patient-centred multi-disciplinary health care in New Zealand.
The members of the Establishment Board are:
- Dame Annette King, Independent chair
- Dr Harley Aish, chair of ProCare Health Ltd
- Dr Angus Chambers, chair of Christchurch PHO*
- Donovan Clarke, chief executive of Manaia Health PHO*
- Andrew Gaudin, chief executive of The Pharmacy Guild of New Zealand*
- Karen Guilliland, chief executive of The New Zealand College of Midwives*
- David Harrison, nursing director of East Health Trust PHO*
- Martin Hefford, chief executive of Compass Health**
- Susan Iverson, board member of Health Care Aotearoa
- Hugh Kininmonth, chief executive of Hauraki PHO
- Jennifer Pelvin, chair of Allied Health Aotearoa New Zealand*
- Richard Townley, chief executive of the Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand*
- Mark Vela, chief executive of Total Healthcare Charitable Trust PHO
- Teresa Wall, board member of Ora Toa PHO
*Current member of the Primary Health Alliance
**Current member of General Practice New Zealand
Want more of the latest sector news, information, opinion and discussion straight to your inbox? Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter: https://healthcentral.nz/subscribe/