The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have teamed up with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on a new mental health initiative.
The royal quartet have helped to launch a text messaging helpline, dubbed Shout, which will help those who are struggling and was formed thanks to a £3 million grant donated by their Royal Foundation.
View this post on Instagram
3 years ago Catherine, Harry and I kicked off the Heads Together campaign with our fantastic charity partners. As part of the legacy of the @heads_together campaign we wanted to do our bit to make it easier for people to start to get the help they need. The Royal Foundation has made its biggest ever investment to do just that. And we want you to be a part of it. @giveusashoutinsta is a new textline that supports people who need advice in a tough moment. It operates 24-7, and connects people to trained volunteers who provide help at a time when it is most needed, enabling them to move from crisis to calm and to find longer term support. At the heart of Shout will be an incredible national volunteer community, one which needs to grow to allow us to support more people in crisis. I hope that many more of you will join us and be part of something very special — The Duke of Cambridge
Shout will be anonymous, free to use, and open around the clock and will help those in need go from “crisis to calm” with the support of trained volunteers, and the four royals are “very excited” about the service.
Launching the initiative alongside his wife Duchess Catherine at Kensington Palace on Thursday (09.05.19), Prince William said: “With the biggest investment by the Royal Foundation to date we are today able to formally launch Shout – a new UK-wide service that connects vulnerable people in a state of crisis to trained volunteers who are there to help.
“The conversations are run by volunteers who have completed 25 hours of online training, and are monitored by an exceptional clinical team.”
The prince was proud to reveal that, in the last year, 1000 volunteers have signed up and 60,000 conversations have already taken place.
View this post on Instagram
“We’ve got to be able to relax a little bit and talk about our emotions — we’re not all robots.” — The Duke of Cambridge joined @England Manager Gareth Southgate and a team of footballing royalty to kick off an important discussion on men’s mental health. Swipe to watch a preview of #ARoyalTeamTalk, which airs on @BBCOne at 22.30 on Sunday 19 May. Hosted by Dan Walker, The Duke and Gareth were joined by footballers Peter Crouch, Thierry Henry, Danny Rose and Jermaine Jenas for a truly revealing discussion on issues from depression and racism to career-ending injury and emotional pressures – all to try to make a difference to the way men talk about mental health.
He said: “That is 60,000 moments when people who were feeling scared, frightened and alone were able to use their phone to connect with someone who could support them.”
Catherine hopes Shout will offer support “when it is crucially needed” and help people turn their lives around.
While Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan – who welcomed son Archie into the world earlier this week – were not at the launch, they issued a joint statement with William and Catherine about the service.
View this post on Instagram
Today in the UK, a critical new 24/7 text helpline has launched – @giveusashoutinsta This free text messaging helpline is a private, silent and trusted way, for those experiencing mental health challenges to find a safe space to seek help and support. This is an extension of the @heads_together initiative backed by The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Earlier last year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex began supporting this vital program behind the scenes by hosting a meeting at Kensington Palace with contributors and partners. Last November, Their Royal Highnesses also made a surprise visit to meet with a group of Shout volunteers, and participated in a panel with mental health activist @bryonygordon hearing firsthand how the volunteers have found making the connection with vulnerable texters, a majority of whom are under 25, so rewarding – helping to get them through a moment of crisis to a calmer place, and giving them courage to find longer-term support. Powered by a team of trained volunteers, Shout has already quietly enlisted and trained 1,000 volunteers over the last 12 months, whom in turn have helped 60,000 people. SHOUT is modeled on @crisistextline in the US, which since 2013 has processed more than 100 million messages, Shout is the largest initiative of The Royal Foundation to date, in partnership with @heads_together. Tapping into the UK’s volunteer community, Shout aims to recruit 3,000 additional volunteers by the end of the year. Mobilizing a volunteer community with this innovative use of technology will go a long way in helping people get the critical help they need, often in the darkest of times, when those are privately and silently suffering and afraid to seek help. To sign up to volunteer, visit www.giveusashout.org Be the change you wish to see in the world.
The statement said: “We are incredibly excited to be launching this service, knowing it has the potential to reach thousands of vulnerable people every day.
“Over the last few months Shout has started working quietly behind the scenes. We have all been able to see the service working up close and are so excited for its future.”
Source: NZ Herald